HESI A2 Tips
- Before you being to study, check with your nursing program/school to verify which subjects will be required for you to take on the test. All programs will vary.
- When deciding on a correct answer, sometimes it may seem like multiple answers could be correct. You want to make sure you choose the MOST correct answer.
- Read the question carefully. Understand what the question is asking before choosing your answer.
- Figure out why the correct answer is correct.
- Do not just assume.
- Think like a nurse when reading and answering questions. What would the nurse do in ___ situation?
- Brush up on Maslow’s Hierarchy of needs and the ABC’s of safety. Some questions may rely on this knowledge. For example, What would the nurse do first in ___ situation? What is the PRIORITY task in ___ situation?
- All the options may seem correct, but what is the BEST answer?
- Brush up on your critical thinking skills.
Never pass the patient on to someone else as an answer. YOU are the nurse. You must handle the situation.
While doing practice questions, break the questions apart → apply and use critical thinking to choose correct answer
Read the question. Read it more than once and don’t look at any other part until you’ve done this. Understand what it is asking.
Who is your Patient? (i.e. pregnant women, geriatric patient, newborn, teenager, toddler, 30 year old male, etc.)
If patient, age/gender is NOT identified, not relevant to the question.